"Paul M. Karagianis" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:23:14 EST
On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 09:24:35 -0500 Pete Weiss said:
>Though I get the same thing as Paul, I also did a NSLOOKUP for MX RRs for
>the WEBTV.NET host and found an additional host that IS responding to
>SMTP connects.
>
>As to how compliant mail clients are wrt MX processing is beyond my
>knowledge.  Based upon limited probing, it would appear that StJohns'
>LISTSERV handles final delivery, unless there are some MAILER over-rides.
>
>/Pete

I got private e-mail that WEBTV has been a longstanding problem for a
couple of other sites too.  I don't know if this is THE problem with them
but it appears to be for us for now.  I didn't have any problem with
207.79.35.92 either, but ...91 continues to mostly give "foreign host
rejected the open attempt", followed by time-outs and a few connections
that seem terse by comparison to others.  I have no idea if we are
supposed to go to the alternate mailer for any/all of these errors.

The SJU Listserv with the problem is on Maelstrom and the mailer is
LSMTP.  LSMTP says we have 42,000+ messages that have been jammed for
up to 11 days with WEBTV.  This is way beyond any of the 700 other
systems we currently have queues for out of the 12,000+ we serve.

                                                         -Paul