Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 22:58:13 +0200
On Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:02:35 -0700 "Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>It seems inconsistent  to be able to  do it for the list  itself but not
>the AFD subscriptions.  And you are saying the reason  is 'historical' -
>the code for each is in different parts of listserv, so the AFD code has
>been just left as is? No one has had the time to fix it, perhaps?

No. There  is no  relationship whatsoever between  lists and  file server
functions, except  insofar as many people  elect to create a  filelist in
which  they put  files for  the  people on  their  list. If  you had  the
privilege to manage other people's AFD, you would be able to affect their
AFD to all  files, not just the  ones that happen to be  intended for the
people on your list.

>So I should  be able to subscribe  to a web page, for  example! (...) If
>you can subscribe to a web page... how about an ftp site?

I'm  afraid I  don't  understand  the relationship.  All  the things  you
mentioned can be  done. I don't see  that they require you to  be able to
subscribe other  people to files, though.  What you can subscribe  to and
who can subscribe people to files are two totally unrelated things.

  Eric