Trish Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Mar 1996 18:41:23 -0500
On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Robert Maxwell Young wrote:
> >At 11:55 AM 3/15/96 -0600, Siberia wrote:
> >>If there isn't a way to do this with LISTSERV, can we add this to the
> >>wish list?  :)
> >
> >The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be a LISTSERV wish list; just
> >stuff the programmers care to put in (witness the recent "we want an owner
> >digest" cry, which fell on deaf ears).

  Gosh, judging from all the traffic on that topic, some ears may have
been deaf, but eye sight was pretty good! ;-)

> You can make the suggestion to the subscribers, as I have done - with a
> good response rate.
>  I have a pal who has it. I will ask him. I'm not sure if he is Listserv,
> but I think so.

  I have seen this with Listserv lists when we had our old VM machine,
but it didn't have anything to do with Listserv code, rather it was
the mail user agent, Ricemail for VM that presumably read the "Sender:"
field and inserted the listname in the reader display.  I'm not exactly
sure how though.

  Just guessing, but I would think that it would be easier to change
the mail user agent to display a listname than re-work the Listserv
code which already uses the "Subject:" field for the TOPICS keyword.
In fact, I'm surprised the developers of the mail packages we use
haven't done this already as the turn-around for new versions and
new ideas is quite high.  Maybe no one has suggested it yet.

--Trish
Trish Forrest
Computing Services, University of Windsor, Ontario  Canada