Sat, 26 Nov 1994 21:17:33 -0600
On Sat, 26 Nov 1994, Bill Gruber wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Nov 1994 14:24:30 EST Anthea Tillyer said:
> >I'd like to clarify...does this mean that we have to include the "ALSO"
> >keyword on each new line?
>
> No, the ALSO goes just on the first line.

A practical demonstration of this would be something like this:
*  Filter= Also,address1,address2,address3   etc.
*  Filter= address7,address8                 etc.
*  Filter= address13                         etc.
and you can use wildcards ( like  *  ).

> >I have another question: When a person or institution is filtered, that means
> >that LISTSERV will not accept any kind of command from that entity...?
>
> Not exactly.  The filter is *by list*.  Thus LISTSERV will indeed accept
> commands that have nothing to do with the filtered list.

Just in case this isn't clear, most nodes running the LISTERV program have
more than one list.  Filters which you install for your particular list
apply only to your list.

  On the other hand (anyone correct me if I'm wrong) some commands are for
all lists at the node.  I know that at a number of nodes where my wife and
I are subscribed to different lists, from the same address, how the mail
is addressesd (output of commands) depends on who subscribed to a list at
that node first.  The "name" is pulled out of the records and used
regardless of to which list your commmand pertains.  And personal
passwords are for all lists at the node, not just the list in question,
right?

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner