Michael Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:39:03 -0800
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Christine Quiriy wrote:

> It's tough when you push your own hot button. :-)

^_^

> We have a footer and a header. I think people ignore them.

I know people ignore my list's: the other three are reminders about the
list's web archives (one LISTSERV, one not), and a reminder about how to
unsubscribe, but there are still questions and posts that obviously
haven't benefited from that information.

> We're going to send our guidelines out with the confirmation message and
> see how that works.

Good luck with that!  Subscribers have been known to ignore that kind of
information, too, otherwise there would be almost no overquoting and
"unsubscribe me" requests.

> > All of my new subscribers default to REVIEW.
>
> Definitely; I've considered doing this. Do you remove them from Review
> eventually? If so, under what conditions?

Yes, but when is a very subjective matter:

* When I notice they've posted enough times in a row w/o overquoting.
* When I feel they've posted enough times in a row w/o overquoting.
* When people remind me to notice they've posted w/o overquoting.  ^_^

The difference between the first two is whether or not I've been paying
enough attention to their posts (I don't actively participate in the
list).  Basically, if their good behavior makes it into my long-term
memory, then they've met the threshold for being set to NOREVIEW.  To help
my flagging memory, I store copies of every overquoted post in a folder
that I can easily search later.

> We, too, try not to humiliate our subscribers in public. I like your
> form letter but it wouldn't suit our needs.

Understood.  Fortunately, my list doesn't deal with life-and-death
matters, so the only emotional triggers are strong opinions, not
bereavement.

--
Regards,
Michael