Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:55:41 -0500
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Val wrote:
> I am having trouble with many, many emails (almost 200 today already) being
> sent to me from unknown sources all including .pif attachments with
> subjects such as "Wicked Screensaver", "Your Details" and "Thank you!"and
> so are at least two other members of the [log in to unmask]
> List for People with Breast Cancer.

That is the SoBig bug, mentioned several times on this list yesterday, and
today.  From what you say, you are getting these privately, rather than
through the list; your address was somewhere in someone's mail system when
the bug struck.  If you think it is being distributed via your list, well,
you can put in a size limit, you can specify no attachments, you can
monitor the list, etc.  There are lots of things you can do to prevent bugs
from being spread via your list.

It should be fairly easy to determine which were sent privately and which
were sent via your list by simply looking at the full headers of the items.
If you don't still have them, or aren't sure, check your list archives,
if you have such.  If you find the thing in your list archives it was
distributed via the list, if you don't it wasn't.  You will likely want to
edit your archives if it was distributed via your list to get rid of it.

Send to: LISTSERV @TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL       the email message
INDEX SWALLOWS-L       to identify the log you need to GET
send  HOLD SWALLOWS-L
send GET (put the filname filetype of the needed log here)
      edit the log to remove the bug, then  PUT  the log
send FREE SWALLOWS-L

Douglas Winship