Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 08:07:22 -0500
[Winship wrote]
> You come up with a comprehensive manual for listowners and the listowners
> buy it (I would) and the purchase entitles the purchaser to a year (or so
> many issues) of updates.   After   that continued updates requires   paid
> subscription (you got my money).

I do NOT want this to happen -- I much more like Eric's original thought of
putting   the documentation  online for  anonymous  access.   If you want a
printed copy, Douglas, it's easy to print it!

Besides my distaste at paying extra  for the manual  to a piece of software
that  already has  non-trivial license  and  maintenance fees ("you want to
know  *how* to use it?   that'll  cost extra"),  the list-owner's manual is
needed by many who  don't "live" at the  LISTSERV site, and for whom having
to pay for the manual is as good as saying they can't have one.

The manual really needs to be freely  available.  If there's a large enough
market for printed/bound copies, I'm  sure L-Soft will  be willing to print
some up.  (Ample precedent for  this.  In fact  some  of the Linux  manuals
have  recently been edited     and distributed as   books  by   O'Reilly  &
Associates, even while the  edited copies are  available for anonymous ftp.
Both versions are very popular.)

Norm
--
I will not sell land in Florida