Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 May 2006 21:44:07 +0200
>ACOR lists are not receiving administration email: confirmations, daily
>reports and the like. This appears to have begin over the weekend,
>Saturday.

I don't yet know why, but there is a problem with the mail server dedicated
to administrative messages. This server is inherently subject to
blacklisting since LISTSERV will usually respond to any mail you send it.
The blacklist community thinks that LISTSERV should never send any mail in
response to incoming e-mail, this way it would be less likely to get
blacklisted and, more importantly, they would not have to accept that
honeypots are obsolete. Never mind that this would make LISTSERV completely
useless...

Non-administrative messages, such as this posting, go through different mail
servers to reduce the risk that primary traffic might get blacklisted as a
result of a spammer sending a message from a honeypot address.

>I suspect, but do not *know,* that this would also affect backbone host
>traffic too, it it relies upon those host servers.

Our main DISTRIBUTE node does not operate via the server that is having
problems. At this point I am not aware of any backbone problems.

  Eric