Thu, 13 Apr 2000 20:07:57 +0000
On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 02:36:09PM -0400, Judith Hopkins wrote:
> The approach of setting each clueless subscriber individually to NOEDITOR
> seems a somewhat tedious way of ensuring that the listowner gets messages
> posted by the clueless to be reviewed while the messages posted by
> everyone else are distributed directly without listowner intervention.
> With a list whose subscribership changes daily it could become quite
> a burden on the listowner.

This only needs to be done once, when the list is initially converted
to being moderated. If the owner doesn't trust existing lurkers, the
conversion can be done the other way around, manually adding those
that are known to be trusted to the list of editors and leaving the
bulk set to the default non-editor status.

New subscribers are automatically not editors and so their posts come
to the listowner to be edited/approved. After a new subscriber has
demonstrated that they are responsible they are manually added to the
list of editors, akin to your setting them to NOREVIEW.

> We get the same results with the following features:
> DEFAULT-OPTIONS= review
> SEND= editor
> EDITOR= [log in to unmask],(listname)
>
> The default option ensures that postings from all new subscribers come
> to the listowner to be previewed.

The results are not the same in my experience. The posts that come
from those on REVIEW to the listowner with the above settings are of
the "OK" type (there is another type), and cannot be edited without
the post appearing to originate from the listowner (unless the "From:
..." line is changed, the LISTSERV boilerplate removed, and the
edited post is "OK"ed when it comes to the listowner for the 2nd time).

If a non-subscriber posts, I believe (haven't tested it) that the
message that goes to the listowner will be of the 2nd type (can be
edited with attribution preserved if the listowner's MUA supports
Resent-*).

If a listowner has no need to edit posts while preserving attribution,
your method works well, though I see no advantage over SEND= private,
unless you want non-subscribers to be able to submit posts for
approval. Am I missing something?

> not set to REVIEW. (The REVIEW option overrides the editor option.)
> Postings from anyone who does not fall into one of those categories, i.e.,
> non-subscribers, go to the named editor to be previewed.

Right, REVIEW and editor are not mutually exclusive.

-rex
--
 She was not quite what you would call refined.
 She was not quite what you would call unrefined.