"Michael J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:08:54 -0500
I took the long way around to setting up my web interface, but I am glad I
did now. It is not too difficult after you get the hang of it. Here is what
you do.

The first thing to do is get your web interface up and working with the
default web design. It is a little on the drab side, but that is ok for now.
What you are after is the administration portion of website. It makes the
process so much easier.

After that, there is a portion of the Administration website that is called
"Edit mail and web templates" Like the other message on this said, you will
need to know a bit about HTML to make this work. What this Edit portion of
the interface does is break all of the visual portions of the website up so
that with one change, you can alter the look of a single page, or the whole
website. It also provides a place to change most of the messages that the
Listserv sends out. This includes the ability to add headers and footers to
all of the mail sent through the list.

Before you start changing the information in the templates, I have 2
suggestions. One: Go to the Listserv manual (OH NO NOT THAT!! =-)) and
familiarize yourself with what changing some of these templates can mean. It
will provide you with a general idea of what each template does. Then, on a
TEST LIST!!! start to tinker with the settings and see exactly what they do
and how. Some of the changes will not be as apparent as others, so you may
have to hunt around for exactly what you changed. I will warn you that it is
possible to change things to a point where the website and listserv will not
work the way you want. I found that the templates did not provide all of the
functionality that I wanted, but it did do most of it. I only had to make
half a dozen custom pages that reside outside of the system.

Another quick note(I have talked enough already LOL) I found that you can
use your normal website much more effectively for the sign-up and remove
process. There is a function where you can set up your site to send emails
that are auto generated using ASP script. Using these emails I enabled users
with a quick and easy way to sign up to any of my lists. You may be able to
set it up so that they can change their passwords too in this way, but I
have yet to try it.(another problem that I get a lot has to do with how to
set a password.)

I hope that this novel of mine has helped. Have a good weekend everyone. =-)

Michael Reed
Municipal Code Corporation
http://www.municode.com
http://listserv.municode.com