Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:15:31 +0100
> There have been many times that I wish I could directly email all the
> subscribers on my list, or all those set to nomail, or all those
> subscribed with
> AOL, or with Yahoo, etc., but there is no ideal easy way.  It would be
> a great direction for future development of Listserv software.

This functionality has been in the product since 1999. You can create a DISTRIBUTE job going to recipients selected on the basis of their subscription flags (digest and so on) and/or of an arbitrary boolean expression that can (among other things) match the recipient's e-mail address to patterns. This feature was a complete flop because it took the form of a bland page in the web interface with checkboxes for digest and so on, an input field where you could type a pattern-matching expression, and a text box where you could type whatever you wanted to tell your subscribers. The feedback was that this was too complicated to use. People wanted to do this from their regular mail client, not form a Spartan web page. They just wanted LISTSERV to magically open an additional dialog box at the most appropriate place for their particular mail client and version. Unfortunately, I did not know how to program that :-) The feature is still in LISTSERV, not sure about the web interface though. If it disappeared with the 15.0 overhaul, we could probably add it back.

  Eric