Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:06:23 -0400
Thank you!  I contacted Mike at the computer help desk at UK and he said
there's been complaints since July that certain Earthlink addresses are
being blocked.  He's going to put in a request that the ones I reported be
unblocked, but he can't guarantee how long that will last.

It seems like I'm always hearing about "blocked" addresses or ISPs.  Is
there any such thing as adding addresses to an "approved" list instead of a
"blocked" one at the list administrator's level?

Elizabeth Trotter

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Michael Shannon
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Subscriber can't post to list

FROM:<[log in to unmask]>:
>    host mr2.uky.edu [128.163.2.151]: 550 5.7.1 Access denied

It looks like the server at mr2.uky.edu is blocking/filtering her e-mail.
As per RFC1893:

  X.7.1 Delivery not authorized, message refused

  The sender is not authorized to send to the destination.
  This can be the result of per-host or per-recipient
  filtering. This memo does not discuss the merits of any
  such filtering, but provides a mechanism to report such.
  This is useful only as a permanent error.

Seeing as your list is hosted at uky.edu, you should talk to the e-mail
administrators there and see if this is the case and what can be done to
resolve it.

The simple solution is to tell your subscriber to change her subscribed
e-mail address to an online 'freemail' account (Yahoo, GMail, etc.) but
some people may not want to do this.

--
Regards,
 Michael Shannon

 Chazzozz!!

 Knowledge is just a click away: http://www.lsoft.com/optin.html

 LISTSERV (R) is a registered trademark of L-Soft.