Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:03:52 EDT
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:31:59 -0400 Philo said:
>I think perhaps I'm not reading this right- are you really referring to
>leaving town for a week, and simply queuing all mail sent to the list, then
>unleashing it all on the subscribers (including the requisite dozens of
>"Why am I not getting anything from the list" messages) at once?

Well, I wasn't specifically advocating it, but I would assume that as list
owner you would put out a posting to that effect before doing something like
that.  I credit you with a certain amount of intelligence :)

But yes, you <can> turn the list off with HOLD, which yes, holds everything
up until you FREE it.  I thought that was implicit in what I said...I think
I also said that this was something you could do if you couldn't find someone
to sub for you while you were gone, so I wasn't advocating just HOLDing your
list because you've decided to go fishing for the weekend.

For flame wars I'd suggest using moderation rather than holding the list
until people cool off.  That way you can have some control over what actually
goes to the list that is causing the flaming in the first place.

Nathan