Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 17:23:33 +0100
This  is probably  due to  the nice  little catastrophe  we have  here at
SUNET. I have a  VMS server with 30M of free space  that should have been
upgraded 6 months ago, and a unix server with a nice directory with about
130,000 files which  could not be sent  to the VMS server  due to running
out of disk space  for a change. I would zip the  files elsewhere, but it
takes about one second to fopen() them  now that there are so many in the
directory, so it's impossible to do anything with them in any decent time
frame. I've renamed the  directory and made a new one  to allow new files
to be  processed at reasonable speed,  and the huge directory  will empty
itself at the speed that the system  lets it empty itself. The VMS server
is guaranteed to run out of disk space again as the backlog is reinserted
into  its queue  and there  isn't any  other high  volume mail  server in
Scandinavia that I could forward the queue to in a reasonable time frame.
There are only two  others in Europe to begin with and  we still have our
nice political  wars which lead to  Europe being split in  two camps that
don't talk too well (or at least too fast) to each other.

The good  news is that the  upgrade for the VMS  server arrived yesterday
and I will be installing it over the weekend, or quite possibly tomorrow.
Once this machine is in place, disk  space will not be an issue and there
will be no further incident.

  Eric