Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:49:39 -0500
If you don't want to teach the club members how to subscribe themselves to the various lists, perhaps you could query/extract the database items relevant to whatever list you're dealing with, and generate a batch of "quiet add useraddress *" commands to send to LISTSERV.  But you may have to add a field to the database to mark those members who complain about this - they may not all wish to be on email lists, so you have to have a way to note that and exclude them in your query.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/31/01 04:52PM >>>
I have rejoined this list after a rather long sabbatical  ;-)

Naturally, I have a question right off the top - I have a couple of clients
that would like to run a listserv, but have the information (ie.
subscribers) pulled directly out of his Database (MS Access), as opposed to
keeping it in the traditional .list file.   There's a part of me, a big
part, that just *hates* having to duplicate data....

Is this possible?

Specifics:  A dog club with all the typical database information
  Name
  Address
  Phone
  Email
  Shows  (logical)
  Trials (logical)
  Member (logical)
  etc.

We would like to be able to run several lists this way, eg
  only the folks who are club members
  only the folks who participate in Shows
  only the folks who participate in Trials
  etc.

Now before anyone says, "you can just do a query and reset the list
subscribers" keep this in mind - doing that would work well for announcement
type lists.  But  some of these lists are discussion types - ie. used on a
daily basis by the entire "subscribership".

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM:  CNBarnes
[log in to unmask]                      ICQ:     3581645