Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:00:00 PDT
On Tue, 15 Aug 1995 23:02:13 EDT Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I got 1 each for 4 of my public lists. As far as I'm concerned, I have no
> interest in enriching other people when they aren't paying my company for the
> privilege. After all, the archives <are> taking up disk space on an
> L-Soft-owned server...and they're using machine resources every time someone
> accesses them...so I just ignored the messages. :)

Huh?  I applaud the people at INFOSEEK:
 - for asking permission to subscribe to my list,
 - for stating their intent to create their own archives of everything
   the list sends to them,
 - for downloading a copy of the archives to their own disk-space.

Note that users of INFOSEEK will be using machine-resources on INFOSEEK's
machine, not my machine, everytime they use INFOSEEK to search the archives.

Note that INFOSEEK's searches are amazingly fast; they must be pre-indexing
the databases, and using some technology, e.g., inverted-lists, to do the
user-initiated full-text retrievals.

Me?  I replied that they are welcome to subscribe, and to do what any other
subscriber on my list is capable of doing, i.e., saving new postings, and
retrieving old postings from the archives.   No big deal, and no different
from what "WebCrawler" (http://WWW.WebCrawler.COM) is doing for WWW-sites.