Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 21:15:51 EST
> >It does  mean that the  LAN mail system's  reply function will  not work
> >properly. However,  it seems like the  users of the mail  system that is
> >deficient in functionality should pay  the price, rather than others out
> >there on the Internet.
>
> That is not  my experience. I've generally found that  systems like this,
> and in particular plain VMSmail, put  the Reply-To: address in the "from"
> field. The rationale is  simple: "our" users (ie my boss  and all the top
> execs) should get the service they  expect, because they'll demand it and
> end up making proposals we can't refuse. Too bad for the Internet, that's
> the price they  pay for not running  cc:Mail, and the Internet  is a mess
> anyway! :-)

We have the Microsoft Mail SMTP gateway.  It puts the SMTP MAIL FROM in
the MS Mail From address.  I don't believe there is a choice, but
that's the way we would configure it anyway.  The 3+Mail gateway that
we developed here does the same thing.  (Yes, we still have 3+Mail.
Sigh.)

With VMS Mail doesn't it depend on the product that is gatewaying
Internet mail into VMS Mail?  I don't know PMDF, but I would be
surprised if it didn't at least give you a choice.  We have DEC's
DECnet-Internet gateway.  I don't know what it does though, besides
letting VMS Mail addresses leak out onto the Internet.  I never see it
from the VMS Mail side.