Ed Paynter <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:27:47 -0500
At 01:06 PM 9/2/98 EDT, John Roraback PhD wrote:
>In a message dated 98-09-01 13:24:51 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>> In addition to what Mary has said: have (part of) your bottom_banner be a
>> one-line URL that points to to a WEB page that contains the current topics.
>
>Pete & Mary.... These are a good ideas.... in fact, I had already placed the
>TOPICS in the bottom banner some time ago,  and I do post the TOPICS
>periodically <grin>. However, I am continually amazed at how little folks
read
>and absorb, and I have tried to create redundancies in a number of other ways
>as well to help overcome this.
>
>Just seemed to me that it would be logically consistent to add the feature of
>indicating all avaialble TOPICS in the response to the QUERY command. In
fact,
>if the text in the QUERY response message were customizable by the
list-owner,
>I would probably also add some text describing the other mail receipt options
>and the syntax of the commands for changing them.

John,

It's likely that those who know how to use QUERY, heck even just those who
know QUERY *exists*, don't need much help from us list owners when it comes
to figuring things out.

This change seems like lots of work for L-Soft to do for little return.
Perhaps modifying a periodic PROBE is a better way to go. *Everyone* would
get that message, you can put whatever you want into it, and you determine
its frequency.

Ed