Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 May 2002 09:56:25 -0700
Dear LSTOWN-L Folks,

>You could also create a preprocessor to cull out the offending
>headers
>(perl or procmail). I've done similar things in the past to
>enable users
>with broken MUAs to use lists better. This can get complicated
>though (it's
>easy to "mess up").

A method I use that has not 'messed up' in several years:

New subscribers are on review. I filter my incoming
listowner e-mail for this string in the BODY:

 Notification-To:

This e-mail filter puts the offending message into a
different queue. I write back asking them to turn off their
"return receipt" notification, and to re-submit their
message.

I also offer to receive a test message and confirm that
the thing is actually turned off.

By the way, I do not agree that this is a solely Microsoft
issue. I believe that other e-mail programs have also
implemented this "feature." My memory suggests that
some versions of Pegasus, for one instance, may be able
to produce these.

 Pax,
Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]> 206/463-2322
Discussion list owner: Allergy, Arthritis, Rubber, Thyroid

Allergy
Discussion Group http://www.Immune.Com/allergy/index.html