Chuck Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 14:46:11 -0700
Thankyou for the information, Jacob.  I'll try it on a few people to see how
it works.

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Jacob Haller
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: LISTSERV Mail Header Behavior

>I have a LISTSERV list which is actually one of the targets of another
>regular mailing list.   The regular mailing list is called "beta5" and
>among its recipients is a LISTSERV list called "ENGGPROFILE". What seems to
>bother people subscribed to the "ENGGPROFILE" LISTSERV list is that if a
>message is sent to "beta5", the copy sent to them appears to have come
>from "ENGGPROFILE" alone and if they reply to the posting it is only
>to "ENGGPROFILE" and not to any of the original addressees of the message
>("beta5" and any other individuals that the message may have been sent to
>originally).  Is there a way to change the mail header so that all of the
>original recipients of the message apppear in the "To:" line?  The original
>addressees of the message do appear in in the "Comments:" line.  i.e.:
>
>Comments: To: beta5, pm
>To: ENGGPROFILE
>
>In other words, is there a way to get what is on the "Comments:" line to
>appear on the "To" line instead?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Setting the subscribers to IETFHDR will accomplish this.  There are
some side-effects to this, as LISTSERV won't add a Reply-To: header
in the messages sent to the IETFHDR subscribers (or otherwise make
many modifications to the headers).  Also, you may wish to consider
how desirable it is to have people not subscribed to the mailing list
involved in mailing list discussions, as there won't be any
convenient way for them to unsubscribe if they no longer want to
participate in the discussion.  That aside, IETFHDR sounds like it's
what you're looking for.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support