Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 11:01:15 EST
(much deleted)

(quoted text from logika follows)

>>One of the obvious uses for this software is to search for people
>>who express a need or desire for something which the user sells.
>>To be more concrete, we plan to sell InfoMagnet by searching
>>LISTSERV discussions for messages about "I can't figure out how
>>to do database searches" or "does anyone know of a list about
>>so and so" or even "is there anything out there which makes LISTSERV
>>easier to use?".  We'll contact these people directly, answering their
>>question where appropriate, and letting them know about our service.

And most of my subscribers would undoubtedly reply, "b****r off!"
That's why my lists are set for self-moderation and private notebooks.
This is the kind of thing that's going to do to the Internet what
bulk-rate mail did to the Postal Service.  *blech!*

(more deleted)
>On Mon, 8 Aug 1994, Murph Sewall wrote:
>> While searching discussions for questions you have a (commercial) answer
>> for seems a valuable service (and a technology that can be adapted and sold
>> to others), I predict it will be highly controversial--there are bound to
>> be those who view automated keyword or context searches of hundreds of list
>> archives (or NetNews groups) as an invasion of privacy.  There will be the
>> view that such searches will inhibit the free flow of information and ideas
>> because any question may result in a barrage of "sales pitches."

You got <that> right.  Most of my notebooks were public until this started.
Not anymore.

BITNET:  NBRINDLE@INDYCMS  --------------------  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Nathan C. Brindle, Student Activities Office
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Staff Advisor, Alpha Phi Omega Nat'l Service Fraternity, Tau Omicron Chapter
List Manager, ACCESS-L, BRTHPRNT, EXCEL-L@INDYCMS and other lists
Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.  Indiana University can speak for itself.