Debra Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:11:38 +10
Date:          Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:40:36 -0800
From:          "Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
is it possible to make LISTSERV forward the original mail headers of a
subscription request when it reports one to list owners?  While it is
possible to read the headers of mail sent to the mailing list, I don't
want to wait to discover that the new subscriber is a spammer AFTER the
spam was sent to the list (either to the list or the individual
subscribers)
request mail in.... as far as I know, and others here will correct me if I am
wrong...  you need to configure your mailer to show the full header of the
message....

messages come with a header anyway regardless of whether you can read it or
not... things like <CTRL> + <H> in Pegasus will get you the full header...
there is a setting in cc:Mail that allows full headers (as far as the gateway
is concerned) but only from external mail, not internal..... there are several
others such as Pine where you have to configure it into the mailer setup to get
at the headers....

now unless your mail server is stripping out headers and inserting its own
you should be able to read any header from any message as long as the mailer
your use to read your mail can show the headers....

as far as I know listserv does not strip out headers..... none out of any
messages that I have seen....

Debra