Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:22:01 -0700
On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:03:26 -0500, Gilles Frydman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I believe that only the listowners got spammed.
>But it looks like the spammers used home to relay.
>Am I correct in my assumption?

Not exactly.  The ACOR node is hosted on the HOME machine, along with about 30
other virtual hosting nodes.  The mail is sent to the listname-REQUEST@host
address.  Since this is an address intended to reach the List-Owner(s) it cannot
be blocked or filtered.  The mail did transit HOME but not in any improper way.
Mail to the listname-REQUEST@host address must be handled by LISTSERV and
forwarded to the list owner(s).  The only defense the List Owner has is a
certain degree of tolerance, a readiness with the DELETE key and a good set of
personal mail filters.

>Is there any problem with LISTSERV?

None.  It is working completely correctly in this case.