Fri, 31 May 2002 07:56:17 -0500
On Fri, 31 May 2002, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> Your best bet, in my humble opinion, is to take a look at the Listserv
> 1.8e release notes.

I may have missed them, but I don't recall the "release notes" having been
posted to this list.  Used to be that all "release notes" were posted to
this list (which was not originated a "voice" for L-SOFT). I, and I suspect
others, would appreciate it if the "release notes" were posted to this
list.

> You can find the release notes and the regular
> documentation for Listserv 1.8e on L-Soft's web site.

Wonderful, except that on this account I've a straight Berkely Unix
shell, no modification allowed (no web stuff). Could we have the
"release notes" or "memos" posted to the list, please?

> > As to the virus stuff, the admin at my host site tells me that the
> > internal, LISTSERV, antivirus stuff will work only for Linux and a Windows
> > platform (NT?) so that my site, being Unix, will not have it.
> > If that is correct, why is it correct?  Improvements are only for the
> > currently most popular platforms and everyone else can go hang (AFD
> > anyone?)?
>
> Exactly, only Linux and Windows have the anti-virus capability now, for
> those servers that are current on their L-Soft maintenance and that have
> installed the special Listserv version of F-Secure Anti-Virus software.
> Information about this feature is in the documentation.

Exactly my point. Only currently favored platforms get the latest, the rest
have to make do with "we'll get to it when we get to it, which we will" and
then they don't (FUI/AFD ?).  Got major LISTSERV nodes here which do not
use Linux or MS whatever; forget that the favored platform switched from
VM/VMS to UNIX, now it's Linux or MS windowswhatever or forget it (your
platform may be next). Is this like freezing out VM/VMS by not bothering to
write the programs for that platform, even though it was indicated that you
would? and get everyone to forget the wonderful VM/VMS features via "not
yet ported to this environment"? (stats? packages?, etc?)

> > While I'm at it, I will repeat my request that LISTSERV strip the
>
> I do not recall how Listserv 1.8e handles reset tags.

Didn't (I don't think) say any thing about "reset" tags, be they 1.8e or
else; try resent.

Douglas Winship