Andrew Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:53:36 -0400
Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]> writes

> At 04:58 PM 7/14/98 -0500, Amy Stinson wrote:
> >Occasionally I get an email that is sent to me by mistake that I want to
> >forward to one of my lists.  Whenever I do that, it puts my name as the
> >author (in the from) even though I have sent it as a "resend".  I thought
> >it might be pegasus, but it's LISTSERV that's parsing out the headers.
> >Here's one I forwarded to myself:
> >
> >Forwarded by:           "Amy Stinson" <[log in to unmask]>
> >Forwarded to:           [log in to unmask]
> >Date forwarded:         Tue, 14 Jul 1998 16:51:18 -0500
> >Date sent:              Sun, 14 Jun 1998 16:20:09 +0000 (GMT)
> >From:                   'ki <[log in to unmask]>
> >To:                     [log in to unmask]
>
> Ah, but those aren't your RFC822 headers.

Amy just happened to cut & paste the "prettified" headers that
Pegasus Mail's message reader presents to the user.  In the
underlying actual message, "Forwarded by:" is actually "Resent-From:"
and so on.

  There's no such thing as
> "Forwarded by:", for example; and none have a space in them.  I'm not sure
> what LISTSERV's rules are, but the "Comments: Resent-From:" below looks
> like it received one of those, and I believe the RFC822 interpretation is
> that "Resent-From:" takes precedence over "From:" for replies.

Yes, it looks like an unmoderated list exposes the "final" sender, as
opposed to the original sender, of a message by placing the original
From: line in a Comment:.  Looking over the list owner manual, I'm
not sure if there are any list keywords that will allow LISTSERV to
use the original sender information.

Andrew.