Sun, 12 Nov 1995 20:20:53 -0600
> >P.S.  Eric--thank you for adding the REVIEW option--it is definitely the
> >greatest think since crunchy peanut butter!
>
>     Once again I out in the cold, what is the REVIEW option and how do you
>  use it?

Review is on of those things which can be confusing as it has different
meanings according to the context (like "confirm").  In this context it
serves as a sort of "filter" for those lists which aren't fully moderated.

If a subscriber is set to REVIEW his postings are sent to someone for
approval before they go on to the list.  If they aren't approved they
never get to the list.  The "someone" can be the first address in the
Editor= listing, the first Owner= listing or (I think, don't hold me to
this) you can put in a special address for REVIEW items using the Review=
keyword.

REVIEW items are approved via the "ok" technique (like you use to
"confirm" a new subscription to a list).  If you don't approve within the
allowed time the item is dumped.

To set a particular subscriber to REVIEW you send to the listserv
running your list:

QUIET SET listname REVIEW for userid@node

To have it as the default, so that all new subscribers are automatically
set REVIEW (on probation as it were), you put it in your Default-Options.
When you do this I believe everyone already subscribed will be "quietly"
set to REVIEW so you may want to do a quiet set noreview *@* for your
reliable subscribers.  Then you can just keep an eye on the new subs and
when they prove themselves set them to NOREVIEW.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L