"Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Jan 1997 21:47:48 EST
On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 07:34:17 -0500 Philo said:
>Do people with listserv lists really get 5+ spams/day? I'm running a law
>school mailing list (surely a high priority target for the political spams)
>GATED TO USENET, and might have seen three spams on the list in the past
>month.

   Here is my 1/20/97 breakdown.  It took about 20 mins for me to figure
this out...

      List             Direct Spams   Indirect Spams
      --------         ------------   --------------
      Airline               4
      Railroad              5             26
      Stamps                3

   Now,  the direct  spams  list are  those sent  directly  to the  list
address.   All are  trapped because  my lists  are semi-moderated.   The
indirect  spams  are  those  that  come  via  the  bit.listserv.railroad
newsgroup (moderated, so  all trapped).  They end up as  coming into the
railroad list and trapped.

   I suspect that  peoples mileage will vary because  of several things.
First, Airline and  Railroad are widely advertised on the  net, so there
are a great  many places that people  can get the list  address from for
their spam database (from WWW sites to the various lists of lists).  All
three lists  have a  minimum of 10  local re-distribution  boards.  They
generate a  few spams each  year.  STAMPS  is less advertised,  and that
seems to be the mail reason for the lower number of spams.  Stamps moved
recently, and  that seems to  have cut down on  the number of  spams for
some time, but that's changing.

   Friday night  seems to be  the killer night  for spammers.  I  got 17
direct spams between 9pm Friday and 9pm Saturday.

   On usenet, some groups are clobbered while others are pretty clean.

**  Geert K. Marien : [log in to unmask]  (Bitnet: GKMQC@PUCC)  **
**        ListOwner: AIRLINE, RAILROAD, STAMPS, The INDIA List        **
**    (All contents are my own opinions - unless otherwise stated)    **
**         Watch EastEnders - The Soap Opera for REAL People!         **