Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:37:46 -0400
At 04:48 PM 9/29/2002, Rich Greenberg wrote:
>There are so many cases where a standard says one thing and how it is
>implemented is something else.  RFC822 says that the local part is case
>significant.  Most implementations ignore this.  Lsoft is one of the few
>implementations that follow the standard.

Huh?  WHAT implementations ignore this?  Remember, the RFC says
the addresses JOE@... and joe@... are distinct, but it does NOT
specify whether they map into distinct mailboxes.  Newer systems
seem to map all cases into the same mailbox, but that's just
a (permitted) choice, and is probably chosen since to do otherwise
would confuse many of the Internet's newer participants who know
how to manipulate a mouse but for whom a keyboard is a novelty.

In fact, "plussed" addressing, whereby "joe+anything@..." also
goes into Joe's mailbox, is becoming more widely available.
One shouldn't try to "fix" those addresses any more than one
should try to "fix" the case a user sent in to subscribe with.
Each domain can map its local addresses as it wishes as long
as it makes sure all cases of "postmaster" go the same place.

I once added my own address to my own list in three different mixes
of case so that I could receive index, digest, and normal mail.
Too bad the regular user doesn't have an easy way to do that.

Cheers,
Stan