Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:22:59 -0400
>I need to subscribe 25,000 people to an announce only list quietly.  What is
>the easiest way to do this?  I have email addresses only in a text file
>format.

The fast, nice bulk add command goes as follows:

QUIET ADD listname DD=X IMPORT
//X DD *
user1@node1
user2@node2
[. . .]
lastuser@lastnode
/*

You can optionally add a space and the person's first and last names to any
of the addresses if you want.

The above method is fast because it does not send notifications to any of
the people being added.  It's also convenient because it doesn't require
the first and last name of the users; you can just drop a text file of the
email addresses in and you should be all set.

However, in some cases you may want the notifications to be sent out to
each of the new users.  (Since a seperate message will be sent to each user
this will take much longer.)  In that case, you want:

ADD listname DD=X
//X DD *
user1@node1 *
user2@node2 *
[. . .]
lastuser@lastnode *
/*

Each email address must be followed either by the subscriber's first and
last name or by an * .

I seem to recall running into an outer limit on the number of subscribers
that can be added at one time using this method.  I don't know what that
limit is, but as a practical matter I find that adding 50,000 users at a
time works fine, and you should be able to use either of the methods above
with no problem.

-jwgh