Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:55:26 -0700
On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Glenn Darwin wrote:
> ...  My issue is every ISP ignores this and any version of the
> e-mail address always gets dumped into the same mail box...

Perhaps you need to view the ISP's protocol differently? Perhaps
the ISP considers each SpeLliNg of a userid as legitimate,
differently spelled, conforming to the RFC, and simply assigns
one mailbox where email addressed to any of the multitude of
spElLinGs is dropped. The RFC doesn't say WHERE the mail should
be dropped; it just says that the various UsErIDs should be
considered unique. So, it seems that the ISPs don't ignore
anything; they simply have their own filing protocol about which
the RFC is silent.

Peter R