Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Michael McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:22:47 -0700
text/plain (43 lines)
I'm having difficulty coding the SUB_OWNER template to Cc: me in sending to a subscriber's application.  I have coded the "cc" nine ways to Sunday, from as presented below to being separated by a comma, on its own line, etc., and using &OWNERS as well as a direct address.

This is my copy of SUB_OWNER at present:

---------------------------------------------------------
.TO &WHOM CC: admin@mydomain
A copy of the &LISTNAME membership questionnaire has been sent to you under separate cover.  Please follow the instructions carefully in completing it and return it to the list administrator as instructed.

The LISTSERV Owner's Manual states at:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/owner/owner.html#2.13.9

The first template form you need to add to listname.MAILTPL is called SUB_OWNER, and in this case it would typically look like this:

>>> SUB_OWNER &LISTNAME: &WHOM requested to join
.TO &WHOM
A copy of the &LISTNAME membership questionnaire has been sent
to you.  Please read it carefully and follow the instructions
to complete it and return it to the list owners.

The .TO &WHOM directive is required so that the message is sent to the subscriber rather than to the list owner. If you want the non-quiet list owners to receive a copy of this message (which is admittedly unlikely), you can simply add CC: &OWNERS to the end of the .TO line, e.g.,

.TO &WHOM CC: &OWNERS

Or, if you want to cc: a specific user such as [log in to unmask], use

.TO &WHOM CC: [log in to unmask]

Note that you cannot format the SUB_OWNER template; it all comes out as one long paragraph without formatting no matter what you do, because it is a "linear" template. But you should modify it from the default to let people know that they will receive a questionnaire to be filled out and returned.

In the interim I've had to code ADDREQ1 to be Cc'd to me in order to get an idea of whom is attempting to subscribe, though that's the long outgoing application form, and really not the way advice to me should be accomplished.

Has anyone had any problems coding a copied recipient in SUB_OWNER?  I'd appreciate any feedback, workarounds, or clarifications on disclosure in the manual which I may need to take into consideration.

Thanks.

Michael McNeil

ATOM RSS1 RSS2