Margaret King <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 09:34:13 -0400
At 05:41 PM 8/16/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Something strange happen on my mail list this past week.
>
>Postings  on the mail list were repeating and repeating and repeating.
>
>There was a counter at the end of these messages that appears as a series of
>periods.  The first repeated message was posted there is a single period.
The
>next time there is a line with two periods that precedes the line with one
>period.  Each repeat adds a new line with one more period in it.

We had a bouncing address on one of our lists once that was almost that
bad.  The bounce looked like the original message with a -very- terse
error message added, was sent to the list, and appeared to come from the
original sender so it kept going out repeatedly until finally it died of
too many hops.  Fortunately there were a lot of hops between us and the
offending site, so each message died after only three rounds.  Are the
headers on the postings looking any different (i.e. longer) each time
around?

Margaret King ([log in to unmask])
Michigan State University