Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 May 1994 09:36:19 -0500
        Russell Nelson writes:

> For control over their mailing list subscription.  Perhaps you LSTOWN
> people are spoiled, but try getting on a busy Internet mailing list
> that's controlled by a person who's just gone off for vacation.  Or a
> funky listserver that you can't figure out how to operate.

        I'm not really sure what you're referring to.  I've gotten on and
off busy Internet mailing lists without difficulty.  And if getting on and
off the list requires the intervention of a vacationing listowner, how will
you be able to help?

> And, for the right to complain.  NO ONE has that right over you
> (except perhaps for local users who help pay your salary).

        I've never found that people stopped to ask whether they had the
"right" to complain.  If people want to complain, they'll complain, whether
or not they have the "right" to do so.

> but if my users wanted to be on a mailing list and you
> were uncooperative, I'd start my own parallel list.  That would be
> unattractive, but who am I to tell my customers what they can and
> cannot talk about?

        This seems to me quite silly and unrealistic.  If I run a list with
3000 subscribers and want to refuse access to someone, you're unlikely to
be in any position to create a reasonable alternative list.

> It probably holds no attraction to users who are solely subscribed to
> LISTSERV lists.

        Then I'm not sure your proposal has much of a future.  As you know,
the LISTSERV software that Eric developed is about to be extended to Unix
and VMS systems, and the other unix listprocessor software that already
exists is continually improving.  As more and more lists switch to capable
software, who will need your services?

> I'll probably send an advisory note saying "I have subscribed Random
> User to your list; please tell me if you want her removed."

        Whoa!  THAT I find disturbing.  I already get notified each time
someone subscribes to my list.  If I want to remove someone, I can easily
do so.  The LAST thing I want is a SECOND notice.

        I don't mean to be wholly negative.  I agree with Murph Sewall that
you may indeed have a profitable market providing Usenet services, and
there may also be some people who will pay you to help them deal with
mailing lists as well.   I am still having trouble seeing why this latter
service is needed by more than a few people, though, and thus why people
would pay you to do what many of us already do for free (i.e., help folks
who are having difficulty using our lists).

        Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc