Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 19:41:50 -0400
On Mon, 8 Aug 1994 19:04:00 EDT, George Buckner wrote:
>We at PSYCHE are in search of a way of managing threads within a list
>so that our subscibers dont have to bother (at all) with topics which
>they are not interested in.
>
>It doesn't seem that LISTSERV has such a feature, short of creating
>a separate list for each topic area.

Sounds like a running debate on thMAC-L) about
MacPPC-L, MacAV-L, MacPB-L (to say nothing of separate lists for Mac
systems, applications, and networking). fficulty in using lists as "topics" and letting
users subscriber to whichever ones they want.  I have a older model Mac
PowerBook; most of what's on MacPB-L relates to newer models, so I have
that list set to INDEX (I read only items that seem to fit my own
interests), I have several of the lower volume specialized Mac lists set to
DIGEST, and (usually) I have Mac-L set to MAIL.  I rather like having that
level of flexibility--I doubt having some additional topical threading
mechanism can contribute more than its cost in developement and overhead.

/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]> (203) 486-2489 voice
   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax