Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Feb 1993 00:47:11 +0100
On Thu, 11 Feb 1993 17:28:45 EST Matthew Simpson <054340@UOTTAWA> said:

>4. The two big  official people here at uottawa are  telling me that the
>   Listserv program will not be able to run right (um, not be maintained
>   and updated?) without the letters R-S-C-S, whatever that means.

Right. By  leaving BITNET, U  of Ottawa will  terminate its right  to use
LISTSERV. So the  LISTSERV at UOTTAWA will be gone.  Shit happens. I fail
to see  the relationship between  the unfortunate problem you  are having
with U  of Ottawa and  the broad statements you  made about the  death of
BITNET and  LISTSERV. See,  NCSU and  UNC have decided  to dump  their VM
system. That  means their LISTSERV will  be gone, same situation  as you.
Does that mean that BITNET is being terminated, or that NCSU and UNC have
decided to replace a VM system with unix systems? I could give you a list
of sites  which got  upgrades to their  VM systems, and  a list  of sites
which  are increasing  their commitment  to BITNET,  running lots  of new
lists, and  so on. Sadly, you  happen to be  working for a site  which is
getting  rid of  BITNET, but  the  leak in  your roof  doesn't mean  it's
raining in every home over the country.

  Eric