Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:59:08 -0500
At 12:35 12/2/98 +0000, Deborah Cresswell said:
|We have several lists within listserv and on some lists we have
|thousands of subscribers.

Not at all unusual.

|When I send a post to one of these large lists, does listserv send out
|this posting to all of the subscribers within hours

Maybe, maybe not.  Hard to tell.  Depends upon a "host" of factors
including LISTSERV(R) list definition, availablity of DNS, circuits,
routers, Mail eXchangers, LISTSERV(R) hosts on the Distribute Backbone, etc.

|or does it have alimit as to how many it can email per day.

A list can be setup to limit how many messages per day the list may
generate i.e., not the volume of messages it places on the out-bound SMTP
queues to the subscribers, but the number of incoming ones.

Exceeding this "in-bound" number will cause the list to be automatically
held with messages queued, until manually released ("FREE").

Futhermore, the number of in-bound messages on a per-poster basis can be
monitored, and any poster who exceeds their daily limit will be REJECTED
(not queued) for the rest of the day, and then be automatically
re-enabled the next.  Note that this subscriber limit is for either ALL
posters or NO posters, and can NOT be individualized by userid.

|I noticed the Daily Threshold parameter within the list headers, but I
|am really hoping that this does not apply to the above, but rather to
|how many posts I send it per day.
|
|Please clarify my query

Hopefully I clarified.

/Pete Weiss at Penn State