Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 12:23:15 -0500
On Thu, 5 Jan 1995, Eric Thomas wrote:

> SERVICE is strictly  hostname based, however you can use  FILTER for your
> purpose.  If  you add  "Filter=  Also,pattern1,pattern2",  the people  in
> question  won't be  able to  subscribe  or post,  which I  gather is  the
> desired result?

Thank you, Eric.  Yes, that is the desired result.  Actually, in the shower
this  morning :-) I  thought of something else  I could do ...  there's the
EXIT facility, and I could do more intensive  pre-subscribe checking of the
address there -- right?

In fact, I think that may still be  the way I  do it, because what I'd want
in Filter=  is a   negative, i.e.   "filter everyone BUT    these patterns"
(because there are  many, many Banyan addresses  besides "*%LIBRARY%UMASS,"
more than I know about in fact,  and none of them should  be allowed on the
list).  Is that possible?  I'm sure it's possible with the list exit.

I'm running on a Unix system, by the way.   If I end  up doing this with an
exit, I can post the script I use, if others are interested ... write me if
so.  Otherwise I'll just keep it to myself :-)

Norm
--
"Life's like a movie / Write your own ending"   -- Kermit