Jo Hermans <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 19:21:18 +0100
Well, I think I found a bug in listserv. Ofocurse I suspect that I now
get a reply that it is a 'feature' or that my mailsoftware isn't conform
the standard or whatever. Doesn't matter : it still doesn't work for me.

I'm a co-listowner of blues-l ([log in to unmask]), and this
Thanksgiving weekend was supposed to me my first attempts at being a
listowner. Well, I just realized that I can still post to the list, but
not as a listowner anymore ! Or at least in a certain configuration ...

- Browmvm.brown.edu run listserv 1.8b (I know it isn't the lates version
...)
- my email-adres is [log in to unmask], which is an alias to
- dinf.vub.ac.be is both my pop-server ([log in to unmask]) and my
smtp-server
- the listname is [log in to unmask]
- the listserver is ofcourse [log in to unmask]

When I use Eudora 3.0 Pro on Windows NT, I can post to [log in to unmask] When I
send "query blues-l" to listserv@, I get the correct reply. This is part
of the header generated from this machine :
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 18:31:42 +0100
> To: [log in to unmask]
> From: Jo Hermans <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: test 1
The error-messages from listserv@ are directed to [log in to unmask]
(the 'From'-line)

However, I am the administrator of several Unix-boxes, NT's, PC's and
Macs. So it can happen that I have to use other software to read and
send my mail. But all of them are configured to use the same
email-address, pop-accounts and smtp-server. So that shouldn't be a
problem, right ?

When I use Netscape 4.0 on Solaris 2.6, I can still post to [log in to unmask]
However, when I send "query blues-l" to listserv, it answers me 'You are
not subscribed to the BLUES-L list.' Huh ? This is part of the header
generated on this machine :
> Sender: [log in to unmask]
> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 18:46:44 +0100
> From: Jo Hermans <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: real test on wendy
The error-messages from listserv@ are directed to [log in to unmask] (the
Sender), NOT to Jo.Hermans.vub.ac.be (the From). And this is the real
reason of the error !

The only difference of any importance is the 'sender' field, which
contains my pop-account. But Eudora uses 'X-Sender', and Netscape uses
'Sender'. This doesn't cause any problems with posting to the list, but
when you send something to listserv@ (even doing a query), it chokes.

Any ideas ?

PS : I'm currently still using sendmail 8.7.3 on dinf.vub.ac.be (my
smtp-server), but I'm testing sendmail.8.8.8 on other systems (I'll
swithc next week). But they give me the same result. It's not my
sendmail-configuration who is causing this.

--
Jo Hermans
System Manager WFS, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium

Office: [log in to unmask]  +32-2-629.35.19  http://dinf.vub.ac.be/~jo
Home  : [log in to unmask]     +32-3-226.57.86
http://www.innet.be/~jhermans

Maintains the Antwerp Blues Scene :
http://www.innet.be./~jhermans/blues/
Winner of RC5-56 : http://dinf.vub.ac.be/bovine/vistory.html