Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:01:26 -0400
Pete Weiss wrote:

> At 06:33 07/24/2000 Monday, william wrote:
> >We are getting this in our error monitoring report.  Anyone have a clue
> >what the ISP is doing ?
> >
> >Err First Last  Address
> >--- ----- ----- -------
> >                Last error: Mailer mail.PASSPORT.CA said: "550
> >                            <[log in to unmask]>... Cannot mail directly
> >to files"
>
> Try sending the XXXX@ a direct email message and see if anything bounces.  Also, if you have access to your mail config. e.g., Eudora, you can "direct" your mail gateway to one of each of the MX hosts:

I did send a message directly, it bounced with two error messages:  (paraphrased) user unknown  and the "cannon mail ..." message.
No reply from the postmaster at passport.ca yet.
thanks

> Query:Mail Exchange (MX):PASSPORT.CA
> PASSPORT.CA     MX      20      smtp.PASSPORT.CA
> PASSPORT.CA     MX      10      mail.PASSPORT.CA
>
> which is sometimes useful in trying to pin-down the errant delivery mechanism (MTA).
>
> /Pete Weiss @ Penn State

I think I will leave that up to the isp

--
- bill -

and Deborah,
and the Hounds of Heaven: Fionna, Tulia, Carina (aka "the Monster"), and Becka
visit us at: http://www.HoundsOfHeaven.com