Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:59:36 -0500
I have recently asked my system administrator here at Drew University to
add a gatewayed list to our current newsfeed. The list is hosted at
maelstrom.stjohns.edu and I have seen it gatewayed before to other news
servers, and in fact, it is also listed in dejanews.  Apparently, this
list requires some sort of approval mechanism for one to be subscribed to
the list, which is understandable in todays day and age.  However, I have
sent off a message to the people listed in the owners= header of the list,
and all such attempts have recently given me bounced messages.  I CC'd a
copy of that message to Dr. Zenhausern over at stjohns.edu but as yet have
not heard back from him either.  It is quite possible that my e-mail was
swallowed up in transit somewhere.

The first thing I noted is that the system administrator of the news
server here at Drew set up the list as a newsgroup with a slight
difference in spelling from that which I have seen elsewhere on usenet.
(Just for informational purposes, the list which I requested to be
gatewayed to Drew's news server is, on other servers, listed as
bit.listserv.tbi-support while on the news servers here at Drew it is
listed as bit.listserv.tbi-sprt.  I have further gone and verified that
the actual list name is indeed [log in to unmask] )

Three questions:

1.  Does the newsgroup need to be set up on my system as
bit.listserv.tbi-support for it to function properly?

2.  Is there any other information which I need to give my system
administrator to get this set up on the news server here at Drew?

3.  Is there any way which I might be able to get in touch with the
list-owners of that list by any other means then their (apparently)
defunct e-mail addresses?

Glenn Alperin