Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 10:10:10 PST
On Thu, 18 Mar 1993 09:35:45, Virginia Metze <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The Chile-L list is becoming too burdensome.

They seem to be two **independent** lists, using the same name!  Sigh!

> I noted this when one user left, and now I am receiving numerous pieces of
> mail from that list throughout the day as POSTMASTER.
I wonder why **you** are receiving the nondeliverable mail!
Most "mail" software should be configured to send "undeliverable" E-mail
back to the "sender" of the E-mail.  Then, LISTSERV will redirect the
mail to the "list-owner", rather than to a 'postmaster' ID.

It would be helpful if you could list the "offending" ID,
which list is giving you the problem, and a sample of the "bounced" message.

>I have been getting 10-20 pieces of mail for this individual, and when
>I posted to the list asking that the individual be removed, nothing was done.

If you send E-mail to 'LISTSERV@USACHVM1', and to 'LISTSERV@UCHCECVM',
and put the commands:

       REVIEW CHILE-L
       RELEASE

as the first two lines of the "body" of the E-mail,
you'll get a copy of the "list-definition" for each list,
and the ID of the 'LISTSERV-manager' at each BITNET node.

I have edited the two definitions, and include the important parts here.

!
!  CHILE-L at USACHVM1
!
   *
   * Discussion regarding Chile
   *
   *  Errors-To= OWNER
   *  Owner=  MPENALOZ@USACHVM1 (Maria Penaloz N.)
   *  Owner=  MLADINIC@USACHVM1 (Antonio Mladinic)
   *
   A_WEBER@UIUCMRL          Alfredo Weber
   FREE2929@UIUCVMD         Thomas L. Robinson
   [log in to unmask] Oscar Lepeley
   *
   * Total number of "concealed" subscribers: 8
   *
!
!  CHILE-L at UCHCECVM
!
   *
   *  CHILE: Foro abierto
   *
   *  Errors-To= Postmast
   *
   [log in to unmask] Alfredo Weber
   A_WEBER@UIUCMRL                        Alfredo Weber
   *
   * Total number of users subscribed to the list:  130
   *

So, what's important about the above?

First, for CHILE-L at USACHVM1, note the IDs of the "list-owners" of the list.
Send E-mail to them, and they will remove the "bad" ID(s) from the list.
Also, note that there are eight "concealed" subscribers.  It's possible
that the "bad" ID is among those eight; only the list-owners can tell!

So, which of these three "non-concealed" subscribers could be invalid:
   A_WEBER@UIUCMRL           Alfredo Weber
   FREE2929@UIUCVMD          Thomas L. Robinson
   [log in to unmask]  Oscar Lepeley

Well, the third one can be "finger"-ed, so it looks fine.
You're "closer" to the 'UIUCMRL' and 'UIUCVMD' machines than I,
so I'll let you do the investigate work about those two IDs.

Second, for CHILE-L at UCHCECVM, note that no 'OWNER=' clause is present!
Also, note that there are no "concealed" subscribers on this list.
Lacking "owner" information, then 'POSTMAST@USACHVM1' should be contacted.
Alternately, you can contact the 'LISTSERV-manager' at USACHVM1, namely:
    Jaime Contreras V. <JCONTRER@USACHVM1>  (56) (2) 681 4658

Given the "possibly-bad" IDs:
   [log in to unmask] Alfredo Weber
   A_WEBER@UIUCMRL                        Alfredo Weber
together with the fact that E-mail for [log in to unmask]
gets forwarded to the ID you used in your posting to the 'LSTOWN-L' list,
it's pretty clear that 'Alfredo Weber' is the three-times-guilty party!