Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 17:03:12 -0500
>Greetings.
>
>I have recently assumed the role as list manager of a list of approx.
>150 subscribers.  I am also quite new at list management and new to
>this list.  So please forgive me if this question is amateurish.

Actually, I think it is rather complex, but anyway....

>Prior to taking over, the secondary list owner had resorted to posting
>personal information about another member with whom he had disagreed
>(our topics often lead to political discussions).
>The information he posted was data he collected from
>the World Wide Web and included this person's profession, title,
>address, and other URLs mentioning this person.   He claimed
>that he wanted to discuss the issue of privacy and the internet, but
>it seemed more that he was bent on public harassment of this one
>individual by his use of personal examples.  He, however, did not
>resort to foul language or name calling.
>
>The guidelines for this list are at the WELCOME message, but do not
>address this privacy issue specifically.  They deal with flaming,
>name-calling, etc.  I would like to know if other listowners have
>experienced this.  Do most of you feel this is inappropriate
>behavior of a member, maybe even more so since this person was the
>co-listowner?  Do others have a policy or guideline that addresses
>this matter?

If it were my list, I would do one of two things.  I would elect to resign
my list-ownership, and perhaps create a seperate list without this
individual in the position of list-owner.  (Such things happen fairly
often as I understand it.)  Another alternative is to send a private
e-mail to each member of the list (perhaps via the bCC protocol of sending
e-mail) and asking their opinions on this particular individual.  If the
only sort of feedback you are getting is negative, you may wish to get the
header, and put it back with the modification of this person being removed
from the list-owner position.  This would, at the very least, deny this
person the ability to continuously harrass individuals of your list and it
would also allow you to have the opportunity to monitor what they say
before it gets posted.  (Just out of curiousity, can one list owner place
another list owner of the same list on review, or is that a rather futile
thing to do?)

>My personal opinion is that this is semi-private information that was
>posted without the consent of the individual.  I also feel that this
>type of exhibited behavior would stifle many of the discussions as
>members would hesitate to post out of a concern that if others do
>not agree with their posting then their personal information could
>soon appear on the list.

I agree with you here.

>I would appreciate any feedback.

I hope mine has been helpful.