Wed, 14 May 2003 11:36:08 -0400
Karen Reznek <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Here is the (non)response I received from Earthlink when I asked:
>
> As a listowner and an Earthlink customer I am concerned about your new
> "permission-based" spam-blocking technology.
>
> I understand that another listowner has written to you and been told that
> (among other things) "Addresses only need to be added once before they
> are permanently approved. Just make sure to keep sending your mailing
> list from the same address, and you shouldn't have any problems with
> delivering the list."
>
> My list is set up to reply to the sender, not to the list. Will the To:
> address be used as the address permission has been granted to, or will
> each of the almost 1,000 listmembers have to be added to the approved
> list separately?
>
> Earthlink's second response (the first was a canned message on how to
> report spam, after which I requested that they read my question):
>
> The new filters are still being beta tested. Therefore, we have no
> guarantee at this time as to the affect it may have. Please check to see
> if your list is filtered. If it is, it would show in the blocked email
> list when you check your spam. It would be filtered to the spaminator
> area. If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.
>
> --

Karen and other Earthlinkians,

Sounds like the solution to whatever havoc they're about to wreak
might be opting out of Spaminator.

I've never signed up for Spaminator because I worried that it'd
somehow interfere with my list stuff.
I post to my list and to UseNet fairly regularly and don't get a heck
of a lot of spam. When I do, I report it to the providers abuse
address. Maybe 1 or 2 spams a day here. (Waits for big, spam
filled anvil to drop...)

maureen