Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:38:28 +1000
Hi all

apologies if this one is a bit late but I've only just waded through 4 days
of digests....

>Someone on this list, not long ago, mentioned viruses/worms being sent
>these days as nonattachments and I've heard it elsewhere.  Is this a hoax
>or can it be done?

Theoretically, yes.  Pictures (.gif, .jpg) are commonly text-encoded to
facilitate transmission via email.

>How many lines does it take for this? (I currently have siszelimits
>of 180 for one list and 100 for another, I know that includes the header).

>I have a subscriber who's site was hit very hard by the 'love bug'.....

A software developer I know managed to reverse-engineer both the "Love Bug"
and the "Life Stages" virii (is it a crime to reverse-engineer a
virus.....?).  Both  of them clocked in at over 300 lines.  I would expect
that with current virus technology your size limits are OK for now.  This is
the best way to stop unwanted files to be sent with a post.  It will even
prevent text-encoded files from slipping through the Attachements= No
keyword.

>... have not put in the Attachments= keyword yet as people at the host site
were
>dithering on installing the 2000a set, need to ask them about that again.

Yes!!  Keep annoying them until they cave in and install it.