Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:43:35 -0400
Pete Weiss wrote:

> Why is an AOL subscriber's e-mail box any less full when set in DIGEST
> mode?!  OK, theoreticaly *I* know ... but my real point is that the user
> who can not (for what ever reason) maintain an e-mail box does NOT mean
> that the list-owner, and by extension the network, bounce mechanisms, and
> time-involvement a priori, must suffer, most especially for someone who
> (probably is) donating their time to the smooth running of the list.

I agree for your typical lists, but I have a couple that are near and
dear to my heart, and I hand-hold them a lot more often than is typical.
Setting digest mode serves to reduce the number of bounces in my mailbox
without removing the user altogether.  When they finally "do" get space
to receive a digest, they figure out what is going on soon enough.

I suppose it's a matter of if you are the owner of a list you care about
versus being the designated janitor for some staff list you are required
to babysit for your employer (or something like that).  In the latter
case I'd most certainly opt for the lazy out.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>