Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:41:20 -0500
Exactly . . . which may not be A Good Thing for everybody, but for those
lists I have applied it to here, it solves the "replies to incoming
spam" problem, and everybody who "belongs" on the lists is there (we
serve a number of what I call 'captive audiences' of people who are on a
list because they have a relevant job assignment).  The dropped messages
do occupy some disk space until the OKhexcode files expire, but that
hasn't been a significant concern.

Alternatively, I have observed that these messages do appear if the
"All Moderators" option is checked in the Moderation option on the web
interface - they are not totally lost, so a list owner/moderator who
wants to minimize spam back-scatter but not completely lose access to
non-subscriber postings can apply this edit, and scan through the
awaiting-moderation list to pick them out.

And I have a somewhat related question for the group.  We have one
particular list that has *always* been configured with Confidential= Yes
in the header (I'm the site admin, and this one has required close
attention from the start), but is receiving a dozen or so incoming spam
messages a day.  The mystery for me is how did this list address come to
appear in spammer databases, and I will appreciate the collective wisdom
here on that question.

> One possible option is to locate the template
> "MSG_POSTING_CONFIRM_SENDER" for the affected list(s), and insert
three
> lines, like this:
>
> .bb &NON_MEMBER = 1
> .TY &DATE &TIME &LISTNAME; spam-drop &FROMID; &MSGREF;
> .* cancel the confirm request, reduce spam back-scatter
> .QQ
> .else

Although this cancels the confirmation, it basically means that
messages from non-members are dropped on the floor. They will not be
processed until the poster confirms them using the unique confirmation
ID that was never mailed to anyone :-)

  Eric