Bill Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 16:02:29 CDT
Hello, I am a new list owner and am having problems setting the 'reply-to'
keyword in the list header.  "My" list is actually a redistribution of a list
at a u*ix site.  By default, people on "my" list get the 'digest' option set.
The reason for my list is that the "software" at the originating u*ix site
does not have the ability to distribute the mail in digest format.

It looks like "Reply-to= [log in to unmask],Ignore" is what I want.  What I'm
finding is that if I have someone subscribed in digest format (set xyz digest)
then the 'reply-to' in the list header is ignored and the 'reply-to' field
in the distributed DIGEST is set as "Reply-to: [log in to unmask]".  If the
user is not in digest format (set xyz mail) then the 'reply-to' field in
the distributed MAIL is set as specified in the list's 'reply-to' header
entry.

We are running release "1.7f" of LISTSERV.  It looks to me like this version
is (for lack of a better word) "ignoring" the 'reply-to' keyword in the list
header for people subscribed with the 'DIGEST' option set.  Is it working as
designed or is it "broke"?

Our current plans are to buy the commercial LISTSERV sometime in the future.
Can I expect different behaviour with release "1.8?" of LISTSERV?

I've discussed this with the LISTSERV maintainer (who is my office mate) at
my site.  He seems to think it's "working as designed".  I think it is either
broken or "broken as designed".  He suggested posting a query to this list.
A 'ldbase' search of this list's archives has revealed nothing interesting.

Any comments on this matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bill Hunter
The U. of Alabama