Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 14:15:17 +0200
On   Mon,   4   Aug   1997   18:22:10   -0500   Gilbert   Brenson   Lazan
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I do not believe they are either few or decorative, Eric.

I meant few as  in "not all that many hex codes to  learn". It's not like
there are 4 possible accents on just  about every vowel plus a handful of
consonants, like in some other languages.

>An average  post could easily  contain 20 -30  and they can  signify the
>difference between  tenses (past and  present), meaning (ano  vs. a=F1o)
>(si  vs.  s=ED)  etc.,   pronunciation  (especially  en  Proper  Nouns),
>interrogation versus  affirmation (the upsidedown question  mark), etc.,
>without  even  going  into  cultural   identity  (I  don't  think  you'd
>appreciate being suddenly turned into Erik Tomas just for someone else's
>convenience).

Actually, I stopped caring  about the Erik bit a long  time ago. A gringo
who lectures me about  the language of my country, on  the other hand, is
quite a  bit more upsetting  than a Swede who  forgot the spelling  of my
name because he only saw it once or maybe he only heard it, especially if
the reason for this mistake is that the gringo assumed *I* was a gringo -
the  ultimate insult!  ;-) Anyway,  native  speakers do  know the  proper
pronunciation of words,  they don't need the accents to  remind them. The
upside down question mark is redundant  as you know, and accents which do
not affect pronunciation tend to have no impact on comprehension, for the
simple reason  that you  don't hear  them when  talking and  people still
understand. I do  concede that proper nouns can be  an issue. 'Montanana'
could be 'Montanana' or 'Montan~ana' and  this makes a big difference. In
general I agree that n~ is an issue  in the same way that a"/a*/o" are an
issue  in Swedish.  But, other  than in  a handful  of common  words like
manana  and ano,  it does  not  occur all  that  often. The  bulk of  the
hard-to-read  hex codes  would be  for i'  and the  like. Conversely,  if
people were to drop the accents but  keep n~, there would be only one hex
code to  learn (two if  you kept the  inverted question mark,  which only
occurs  at the  beginning of  the  sentence). Or  you could  do like  the
Italians who often write a' (a + quote) rather than type the accented a.

>Is it just a matter of using  a hex code? What is the difference between
>using  the hex  code and  using a  Spanish-language keyboard  (pardon my
>ignorance)?

The data entry method (Spanish keyboard or special control sequence) does
not really matter. Roughly speaking, there  are two ways to send accented
characters over the network.  One is to just send them,  and the other is
to encode them. If you just send them, people who have a mail system that
only supports 7-bit ASCII (which is unlikely in countries with accents in
the national language) will see  a different character. For instance, the
Swedish a"  becomes 'v' (or 'd',  I forgot). While rare,  this problem is
VERY  annoying. If  you encode  and the  recipient does  not have  a mail
program with  MIME support, you  see =F6 and so  forth. This is  the most
common problem. The more accents in  the language, the more hex codes you
need to learn. I am used to having this problem with Swedish, where there
are only 3 hex codes to learn, and it is bearable. In French I would just
go insane, especially as accents are decorative.

From  a  tongue-in-cheek  Latin  American perspective,  the  reason  this
encoding is necessary is that the gringos only provided support for THEIR
alphabet in the  1982 suite of protocols, purely to  oppress us as usual.
While support  for 8-bit  characters was  technically possible  (and very
easy),  it  was not  required  for  compliance.  Rather than  revise  the
protocols to  allow 8-bit  characters, they required  us to  encode them,
just to remind us  who rules the world and all that. On  top of that they
had the nerve of saying that it was thanks to THEIR efforts that we would
finally be  able to speak our  own language over the  Internet! Well it's
not like we  had been waiting for  them for permission, you  know. We had
already been sending our 8-bit  characters unencoded and we addressed the
protocol issue by  simply selecting software that supported  them. When a
major product only supported 7-bit, we refused to buy it until they fixed
it. Today  all major  products support  8-bit (unless  of course  you are
using an old version).

Either way there  will always be purists and there  will always be people
who are  willing to  make compromises  to facilitate  communication. This
goes beyond  the technical issue  of MIME  support. For instance,  I work
with a  US keyboard, so  typing accented characters means  memorizing all
the codes and typing special escape  sequences and generally going out of
my way  and wasting a  lot of  time, even with  the best software  in the
world (sorry, but  I can't memorize 5 different  keyboard layouts either,
so a page code switcher is not an option). There is just not enough space
on a normal keyboard  for all the accents in all the  languages I may end
up using. Perhaps this  is one of the reasons why I gave  up on accents a
long time ago.

  Eric