Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 12:59:39 -0500
At 08:04 AM 4/2/97 -0500, Pete Weiss wrote:
>>I don't know much but I've seen "#" in "european" addresses and some
>>".com" like they were put there by the routers or something ... not it
>>sub addresses as is that I recall but since I think LISTSERV parses the
>>Sender or X-Sender field I think it is a "possible" valid one ...
>>
>>Why do "#"  make suspicious ? Is it normally reserved for a specifc
>>usage?
>
>Often times in VM/CMS, the pound sign is used a command-line separator
>i.e., you can "stack" multiple commands on one physical input line.
>
>If you think of the pound sign as a place holder similar to the use of the
>asterisk e.g., "you are being made out to be an a**," I think you'll catch
>my drift.  Of course you then might a**ume that I have a filthy MIME. ;-)

I checked RFC 822, since I wasn't sure.  "#" is not any kind of special
character, and is thus perfectly valid in an email address (if anyone
wants to create them that way).  Frankly, I wouldn't have guessed that.

The problem with putting them on review is that maybe they'll just lurk
for a year, and then finally make a post--which will occur on the first
day of your 3-week vacation.  Then they'll wonder where it went.  :-)

(Not criticizing your decision BTW, just noticing that it looks like
an activator for Murphy's Law.)

Cheers,
Stan