Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:57:36 -0600
I'm increasingly seeing posts on my lists that are unreadable code when
they arrive as individual pieces of mail but that, in the archives or
digests, look just fine.

   Here's an example, from the archives:
https://listserv.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/wa-iub.exe?A2=ind0412&L=sharp-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=4858

When this arrived in my (and presumably everyone else's) mailbox, however,
it had an ordinary header but the text looked like this:

VG8gdGhlIFNIQVJQLWxpc3QsDQogDQpJIHdhcyB3b25kZXJpbmcgaWYgYW55b25lIGtub3dzIGFi

etc.

Does this have something to do with the character set, which I notice is
"charset="utf-8" for this posting?  I've once or twice recently seen the
same problem in reverse: postings that come through fine, but are garbled
in the digests and the archives.  Wither way, the problem is clearly tied
to particular subscribers' addresses, but I haven't know what to tell them
to do about it.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Patrick

Patrick Leary